Wednesday 7 May 2014

Harley Quinn review: 0-2

So I'm going to take a crack at reviewing, so you guys really need to let me know if you don't like it....otherwise I will probably just keep doing it.

Since it is going to be my first review, I thought I would do my first proper monthly comic collection......
So I was out in Edinburgh shopping one day with my dear other half and, of course I felt it necessary to pop into Forbidden Planet, previously the only place I knew of where I could get a fix when I got "dat ole junky geek itch". So I was looking through the racks, and to be honest I never usually buy anything, cause I always found it hard to jump into the collecters world, just in case I couldn't keep up with the issues, or it was the middle of a massive plot line and so on. So I would normally grab them when they came out in graphic novel volumes. 

Then I saw Harley. Issue's 0 and 1 on the shelf and I thought amazing! It was my way in, it was the start of a storyline and I could possibly even collect the whole set!

Anyway, now onto the review!!

Issue 0

I got the standard cover for issue 0....

                                                                                                           ........which as you can see is fairly attention grabbing. I loved how it referenced where Harley has come from, without having to scream about it too loudly. It also introduces the comedic, light hearted element that the comic has in the very first speech bubble. The issue itself contains severally Harley "shorts", where several different artists have their way with her.

Overall it was a brilliant introduction to a fantastic new book series and made sure the readers would come back for more

WTK rates it: 5/5


Issue 1

Issue one almost feels like the second act in an origins movie. Mainly because Harley's origins don't need to be addressed, however she has been moved to a new city, been given a place to run and live. By run I'm talking about how the ground floor is a Freak show attraction and one of the floors has 8 different apartments. Making her Landlady of course. Then she finds out that she need to get A JOB!! Like a real one! Which almost makes it feel like Ally McBeal, I think...I've never watched it, however from what I've gathered it's about a woman trying to make it in the big city on her own and such. 
The humour in issue is what drives it for me personally and then the big reveal at the end gives the book it's edge.

Overall a fun read and a great way to get the reader settled into what the future of the book will be about.

WTK rates it: 3.5/5


Issue 2

This one almost stopped my heart when I opened the book...

I'll just let that sink in for a minute...done? Good.
But yeah I know! Joker was shown, with his face!! It is coloured in the actual issue, it also turns out that this Joker is made of wax and is part of an attraction on the ground floor of Harley's building. The main plot point of issue 2 surrounds Harley deciding to house a mass of animals that were due to be "put to sleep". Then we also have a fantastic cameo from Poison Ivy!

Overall the issue was an enjoyable read, and I loved them showing Harley and Ivy's relationship.

WTK rates it: 4/5



Well guys, I'm going to cut this one here, and I'll review issues 3 and 4 this weekend.
Let me know what you think! Have I wrote too much? Too little? A lot a rubbish?
Leave a comment or send me a tweet! I'm actually nice.

WTK

No comments:

Post a Comment